First off, I'd like to welcome anyone who has heard my previous blasting of blogging to go ahead and chastise me for starting my own. I will humbly subject myself to judgment...Now that we have that out of the way, let's move on.
You may look at my blog title and wonder, "WTF is Hoffmanovich?" Before my husband and I were married, the topic of last names was often brought up (and more often shut down). The usual vocabulary surfaced--tradition, custom, whatever. My reasons for keeping my last name were immaterial, as my husband was more concerned about what name our children would have (he also rejected the idea of changing his surname to mine...I'm still trying to wear him down on that one). Jokingly, I suggested a hybrid last name for our children, Hoffmanovich. Having the prefix Hoffman- would surely satisfy his need to acquiesce to male tradition, it is his entire surname after all, and the suffix -ovich would almost certainly improve our children's jump shots. As is quite common in my life, my joke was not appreciated, but rather, it was met with a stern look and string of unproductive personal jabs.
Long story over. I now use Hoffmanovich, comically and affectionately, to describe our family of (presently) two. My husband made the very generous offer of allowing me to pick all the first and middle names of future spawn as long as they get his last name. We'll see...
Friday, April 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment